Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch rod versus Spey rod choice

Thanks for the responses...great info and gives me a good idea where to go when
    I begin the process. Lessons for sure.

Ya it seems like the mixing and matching of lines, heads, tips is biggest issue, but
    I'll get out with Andy when it comes time.

Thanks again.
    Eric

Donít over think it. And Andy will get you casting like a champion. He taught me years ago no one better to teach you

As well I suggest you only need a switch for all the rivers you have mentioned. Besides seems like all Spey rods are migrating to smaller rods just make sure your head is not too long aka fly line. Longer 12 to 14 ft rods are for large wide rivers I used to use a 6126 here it was fine

If you are fishing winter consider a heavier rod to handle sink tips and weighted flies. Not just about the size of the fish I will target. I have a 8110 which handles tops and weight well

Jeff has every rod imaginable that is stiff as a broomstick lol try them out as he offered.

I once had a 5116 and loved it in all these rivers. Wish I never sold it since I have returned to Sacramento
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 12-04-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

It's a lot easier learning to spey with a 12'6 o 13 footer that with a switch rod