Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Switch rod versus Spey rod choice

Thanks for the responses...great info and gives me a good idea where to go when
    I begin the process. Lessons for sure.

Ya it seems like the mixing and matching of lines, heads, tips is biggest issue, but
    I'll get out with Andy when it comes time.

Thanks again.
    Eric

Donít over think it. And Andy will get you casting like a champion. He taught me years ago no one better to teach you

As well I suggest you only need a switch for all the rivers you have mentioned. Besides seems like all Spey rods are migrating to smaller rods just make sure your head is not too long aka fly line. Longer 12 to 14 ft rods are for large wide rivers I used to use a 6126 here it was fine

If you are fishing winter consider a heavier rod to handle sink tips and weighted flies. Not just about the size of the fish I will target. I have a 8110 which handles tops and weight well

Jeff has every rod imaginable that is stiff as a broomstick lol try them out as he offered.

I once had a 5116 and loved it in all these rivers. Wish I never sold it since I have returned to Sacramento
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 12-04-2018 at 06:09 PM.
    There is a fine line between fishing and standing there like an idiot!

It's a lot easier learning to spey with a 12'6 o 13 footer that with a switch rod

Can't say that it's really harder to learn on a switch. Being a foot or so shorter makes it more approachable.
    I have taught spey casts on the T for 11 years with a switch, only because it's not quite big enough for a full size Spey stick.
    Many folks have stepped up without a problem....
    So it may be harder, but it hasn't stopped anybody who really wants it........

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Been fishing and guiding with 6119 TCX and Methods for years, until I recently purchased a 1255 Anderson. I can fish it on the Klamath, Feather, Yuba, Trinity, American and more. It will handle bigger winter fish if needed, but the key is it's fun to fish on all the rivers in the Valley. I fish a 325 scandi body with versileaders, but will cast a 350/375 scandi body with versileaders or a 350 skagit and light mows all depending on what you like. Very rarely do I fish anything heavier than 10ft T8 or 7ips versileader. If a fish wants your fly it will eat it.

Back to the rod, I loved it so much that it has replaced my 6119 rods and is now my go to fishing and guiding rod. The rod sells itself. Extremely easy to cast, fun to cast and is a ball to fight fish on. I've had 14" Yuba trout put a bendo in it and have landed steelhead up to 10lbs on it. Plenty of backbone when needed.

If you are thinking all around rod for Sac Valley and some northern Rivers that's what I would highly recommend. Then down the rod you can look into a fast 6wt or slower 7wt for winter fishing if your thinking Coast or more north like Oregon and Washington.

It's now called the 1255 GFR, great f---ing rod
    And Always Remember
    Keep Those Line Tights
    Brian W Clemens
    Nor Cal Fly Guides
    530-354-3740
    norcalflyguides@gmail.com
    www.norcalflyguides.com

"I have many loves and Fly-Fishing is one of them; it brings peace and harmony to my being, which I can then pass on to others."
    ~ Sue Kreutzer