Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wanna check out the coast.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Sell the kids, get divorced, quit the job, rob a bank and buy an old cargo van.

It Steelhead season.

If you are retired you could go over there for a month or more.
    You and Mr. Blanton have both inspired my retirement plans. I definitely plan on getting a nice travel trailer that I can leave at the Delta during the striper season and up on a river of choice during the steelhead season. I've already got a nice 20' CC, Drift boat and personal pontoon. I just need time!!!!! I am really looking forward to posting up on the Smith for a month and just letting shit happen!

Pretty cool......retiring as soon as possible has it's benefits.

In the 1970s I was taken to the Klamath River by Sacramento City Firefighter Joe Shirshac.

At that time there were retired folks, couples, who went up there with their travel trailer for months in the Fall.

We met and chatted with these folks and it was exciting to think about doing this myself someday.

We use to have a couple who stopped by the shop that had a large 5th wheel that was their home.

They fly fished from Alaska in the summer to Florida in the winter.

Our buddy Rick Jorgensen retired, sold everything and bought a big diesel pickup and large travel trailer.

He travels all over fly fishing from up north in the winter to Montana in the summer.

Bill Kiene

Certified FFF Casting Instructor
    Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Significant series of storms heading into Northern California next week beginning Tuesday.
    Gonna be wet all week
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Thanks again to all that chimed in. Much Appreciated!

We went. We fished. It was Steelhead fishing.... BEAUTIFUL country up there. We fished Saturday right around the forks and on a couple of the gravel bars down river. Water was still a little colored but definitely fishable. My buddy had an adult on for a bit but it came unbuttoned. Yesterday we started on the main stem and worked our way up the Middle Fork, which was in perfect condition. Unfortunately/fortunately, we only got a couple of half pounders to hand. We walked off the river at dark and was back to Morgan Hill just after 10. All and all a great weekend!

We found great water to swing but, it is such a big system. Huge! A guide trip or two on this river would definitely be beneficial to the learning curve..... I already know of Jason and would love to fish it with him. Any one want to offer up recommendations on other Eel guides ???

Bump,
    Sent you a PM.
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Does anyone know what the optimal range is in either cfs or feet (or both) for the river? Not very much info around for that one. PM if wanted.

Edward
    Last edited by Edward; 01-20-2018 at 11:37 PM.

Edward, in my limited experiences with most of the north coast streams the answer is: it varies. Certain times landslides can become more or less active, and also the sediment transport varies depending on recent high flows or lack of. Super rough idea would be that typically the south fork of the Eel tends to clear first, then the main, then the Mattole. I probably wouldn’t personally spend the time and gas if the main Eel wasn’t looking somewhat fishable, but there are almost certainly times where the Mattole would be in better shape than the main. Again, it varies, and it’s a bit of an adventure getting there. Another rough estimate would be somewhere in the 800 to 1200cfs range, but flows in that range are far from being a sure bet! Really helps to get first hand reports whenever possible.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Weather aside I was told decades ago that Mid February was the best average time for the Mattole.

Guide Jason Hartwich knows all the coastal rivers.

http://steelheadonthespey.com/
    Bill Kiene

Certified FFF Casting Instructor
    Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

@BumpBailey Sounds like you had fun.

Whitney Gould guides on the Eel. She can teach you a thing or two about two-handed casting too.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
    @BumpBailey Sounds like you had fun.

Whitney Gould guides on the Eel. She can teach you a thing or two about two-handed casting too.
    TJ- She already has! Task master that one.... in a good way! My buddy and I did the Jefferson Spey Sessions this past fall and it paid dividends..... We both noticed that our casts were much sharper this past weekend and we were both really consistent.

Correction to my earlier post.... we worked our way up the south fork the second day and not the middle fork.