Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Fishing Vehicle Question - Honda Element?

Unfortunately, both the Nissan Xterra and the Toyota FJ Cruiser ceased production with no stated plans to replace by either company. 2015, 2014 respectively. I guess the buying masses want the genteel vehicle nowadays. Market reports are funky. The Jeep Wrangler consistently gets terrible reviews, but it's a specialty tool, with tremendous aftermarket options, and very little competition now here in the States. Landrover? too premium for my wallet. In 5-10-15 years, there may be a "retro" version of the "classic" Xterra lol which was what the FJ Cruiser was originally i believe. FJ40 begat -> FJ Cruiser

I would stay with Subaru, have it lifted just a tad and yeah, the Element is a unique vehicle. Some have installed rooftop expanding campers on them, and sleeping inside the stock vehicle is great, an ex of mine would do that often. But the ground clearance is the main issue for fishing remote places.

eric
    fresno, ca.

Just found this on Wikipedia:

"Ever since the Nissan Xterra was discontinued from the U.S. market in 2015 (see above), Nissan has been testing a Nissan Navara-based SUV.[14][15]It is currently unknown as to whether Nissan will re-release the Xterra in the U.S., or if the upcoming SUV will carry the Xterra name."

Interesting. The Xterra is basically a Frontier pickup with a cap on back. Current on-the-road Xterras will last years...

eric
    fresno, ca.

I haven't read the entire thread, just the first and last pages. I too have an older Forester (2005) and it has gotten me a lot of places. I bought a 2016 Forester from Carvana a couple months ago and could not be happier. Will probably donate the old Subie at some point. It "only" has 212k on it, so perhaps I will keep it around for "local" trips for a while -- I like my new one for road trips more.

That said, the new one is a bit less carlike and less agile in the turns, having an inch more clearance I think. Definitely higher -- I bought a folding step from Home Depot for putting my mountain bike on the roof rack. I can still do it without, but it is dicey (I am 5'10" tall). Not quite ready to get a hitch rack I guess.

Sleeping in back is no issue. I had read that the Crosstrek was less amenable to that unless you are short (a friend suggested that as a possibility).

I was worried about the oil burning issues in later year models, but it seems like that finally got resolved.