Thread: Rock Solid (Euro Nymph)

Default Rock Solid (Euro Nymph)

If you haven't tried Czech nymphing I would recommended giving it a go. Very deadly! This pattern alleviates the need for weaving yet gives the impression of a two tone pattern much like a Polish woven nymph. Color combinations are nearly endless!

Materials

Hook: Any curved caddis style (Fulling Mill Czech Nymph pictured), size 10
    Bead: 3.5mm black matte tungsten
    Weight: Additional weight optional
    Thread: UTC 140, white (or similar) for tying in materials and taper. UTC 70, brown or olive to finish
    Body: DMC metallic embroidery thread #E967 (light pink/pearl). 2-strands are tied in then doubled to 4-strands. (You should have a loop at the bottom of the embroidery thread.) Body is built up to a taper. The 4-strands are inserted into a dubbing whirl, spun counter-clockwise tightly and then wrapped forward. Once body wrapped and secured complete with whip finish. To get the two tone effect use an indelible ink to color on the back only (olive pictured). Cover entire body with a thick UV resin and cure. Once body is cured used UTC 70 thread to finish the Pattern.
    Collar: Any dubbing mixture. I used brown deer hair, natural dark hare's ear and dark brown Ice Dubbing.

I tie up several bodies and complete the initial curing. Further curing is done in our lovely California sun for a couple of hours!

Enjoy!

Last edited by SST Flies; 07-12-2017 at 04:22 PM.
    You shoulda been here yesterday!

Thanks. Nice looking pattern and excellent photo.

I love the look of this fly. I searched for "DMC metallic embroidery thread #E967 (light pink/pearl)) and cannot find it. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by FISHEYE View Post
    I love the look of this fly. I searched for "DMC metallic embroidery thread #E967 (light pink/pearl)) and cannot find it. Any suggestions?
    DMC sells the entire "pearlescent" series in a package, if all else fails. Hope you have a Joann Fabrics or similar notion store up north..

https://dmc-usa.com/light-effects-th...ack-pearl.html
    You shoulda been here yesterday!

JOANNs carries the whole line, at least the Idaho Falls store does. Might try Amazon too. They have everything I think. It comes in an 8 meter length (if I recall), 6 strands. Easy to tie with and several useful colors available.

I was searching for DMC metallic using the numbers provided. It is really DMC light effects.