Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Jeff's 2017 AR Shad Reports

I agree about trying to wade in these flows. If it's fast moving water I don't go any deeper than my knees and in slower water I try not to go any deeper that mid-thigh. The big fresh hens are very hard to lift when they pin themselves down. I'm using a 6119 Method most of the time and don't try to bring them to hand until I get them on the surface. I probably have the record for broken rods fishing for shad!

I think I'll leave the 5wt switch home this year, got into 22"+ fish today, heavy slimy fun. T14@10' working, 12' probably better.

22+ inch shad is probably 4- 5 lbs. That is a hog that will put the hurt on a rod. Earle and I did a short float this evening and we got over 30 to the boat with one close to 5 lbs. I had to put it on the reel and use the net to land it!

Fished this morning and did a short float with Earle this evening. We almost got 30 to the boat this evening and my total for the day was almost the same. They are fresh and strong fighters! Earle got a 5 pounder this evening and it put the hurt on his 8 wt.

40 shad to the boat on a float with Earle Sloane. Nothing under 3 lbs except for two 2 lb dinks. I got two 5 pounders the measured 20 inches so cmcd your 22+ in fish had to be 6 lbs plus! They are hot and fresh right now! Super strong with major bendo to the rods. Nice to see Mark Lynn at the takeout. A wealth of information and a steward of the Lower American!

I got another one that was about a 1" longer than my handles on the TFO spey, used a net. Same one twice?, around 23" and fat. Tried to get a picture but the camera failed, something about cleaning the card(?).
    Have a filling that the word is out and I won't be able to find a empty spot to swing and I don't do a crowd. Limited shoreline due to high water.
    Last edited by cmcdhuibh; 05-21-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Usually early on the Shad are smaller males so this is cool.

Get a good scale like a 15# Boga Grip.
    Bill Kiene - Senior Travel Advisor
    Kiene's American Fly Fishing Adventure Travel

Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company
    2752 Marconi Ave
    Sacramento, CA 95821
    916-486-9958

Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene@kiene.com
    Cell: 530-753-5267

Contact me for any reason........

40 shad to the boat on a float with Earle Sloane. Nothing under 3 lbs except for two 2 lb dinks. I got two 5 pounders the measured 20 inches so cmcd your 22+ in fish had to be 6 lbs plus! They are hot and fresh right now! Super strong with major bendo to the rods. Nice to see Mark Lynn at the takeout. A wealth of information and a steward of the Lower American!
    You guys are killin' it as usual...
    Great seeing you 2 out there as well and thanks for the kind words.
    Like they say... It takes one to know one
    M

Floated with Mike Folden last night and we put over 30 to the boat. Mike got a hog that was 5+ lbs and it was only 18 inches from nose to tail fork! Oh, and I fished for a couple of hours mid-day and got 15.