Thread: AR Sunday Afternoon

Default AR Sunday Afternoon

I landed this wild Steelhead Sunday afternoon:

I've caught bigger steelhead, but this was the hottest one I've ever caught. Wow, what a show she put on! Two jumps and several long runs. She took a size 16 Copper John. I was at the end of my drift and I wasn't really paying attention when she hammered the fly and took off. I assume the fly was swinging at the end of the dead drift. It was just my lucky day.

Last week I was out when the skies were overcast and there were tons of swallows feeding on something. I've seen this several times during a big caddis hatch, but I didn't see any caddis and only one or two small mayflies. There were no fish feeding on the surface. Any idea what the swallows were eating?
    craig

Nice Fish...

Nice chunky fish! I realy need to get out that way this week......

That is one of the nicest fish I've seen come out of the American in a quite a while. Thanks for posting the pic and congrats on landing her. She's b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!
    fly: Very light artificial fly fishing lure of which there are two types: the dry fly which isn't supposed to sink the way it just did; and the wet fly, which shouldn't be floating up on the surface like that. An Angler's Dictionary.

That's a nice one.. Beautiful, congrats! May I ask what section of the river

That is a "Wild Spring Run Steelhead" that we get this time of year in many valley rivers.

They are a very special fish.....usually 3 to 6 pounds.

Fisheries people have been studieing them.

With the low flows this spring we can actually fish more effectivily for them.
    Bill Kiene

Certified FFF Casting Instructor
    Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That's about as nice of a looking wild steelhead as you could hope to catch anywhere. A very special fish indeed. Those wild CV fish are HOT! Good for you and thanks for sharing. Matt.

What a great looking fish!