Thread: Squids and Leeches (Lampreys)

Default Squids and Leeches (Lampreys)

Here are a few squids I tied for fishing the Sea of Cortez (Baja) in May as well as a few articulated spiral leeches with UV polar chennile wound in. The leeches use a furling technique. I can't help but think the big rainbows and steelhead would love the squid and the Baja fish would hammer the leeches (I would tie them on different hooks).

pink squid (Farrar flash blend)

White flecked squid (slinky flash)

Pink squid (craft fur)

Chartruese leech (chart UV)

black leech (pink UV)

black leech (black UV)

leech detail

Mess O' Leeches

Thumbs up Squiddies N Leeches....

WOW!!!! You're ready for Baja. I really like the use of Ostrich on the tentacles even tho they may not be as durable as the round rubber tentacles. IMO, articulated flies have so much more to offer. Especially since I'm not a fan of long shanked hooks.

Are the leeches weighted Are you furling the flash in with the rest of the material or tying it in separately, then wrapping all forward Really like the segmented body effect.

Those are really good looking. You're right, either pattern would work in Baja. Not long 'til you're down there, now.
    H. L. Mencken was rumored to have once said, Democracy, the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. (paraphrased)

Darian, all leeches have either large or XL lead eyes. They get them down fast in our big rivers. I wrap the UV polar chennile in at the same time I wrap the rabbit. It works best if the chennile is on the rear of the fly side of the rabbit. When I make this fly I always wish I had an extra hand to pull materials back. Phil

Very Nice Job...

Sweet flies Fisheye....the ostrich looks awesome...bet they look great in the water.

EO