Thread: A New UV resin

Default A New UV resin

I've been playing with a new UV resin for the past week and have found this to be a great product. It's like CCG but when completely set up, there is no residue on the head. The material is used for repairing surfboards dings, the product is called Solarez.
    You apply it just like any other UV product, hit it with a UV light like the CCG light or a dental light, like I've been using. Or direct sunlight for 3 minutes
    I have been finishing the heads on my sea habits and have seen no problems. I just received a bottle of thick material so it gives me time to shape the head and then cure it.
    I will be bringing some next month to Kiene's Fly Fair to demo. But for the finished heads on my wig hair patterns, I still use the CCG flexible
    The UV resin comes from Wahoo International, Inc. Their web site is
    www.solarez.com.
    Check it out

Jay

On there web site, scroll down to the section "Solarez- clear dual cure Polyester UV resin. I have it in the 1/4 oz bottle
    Last edited by Jay Murakoshi; 03-22-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: More info

Question Solarez....

That stuff sounds good but holding a light on the material for 3 minutes seems like a long time (at least to me). I guess I could put it on my drying wheel and place it out in the sunlight, assuming that we ever see it again....
    H. L. Mencken was rumored to have once said, Democracy, the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. (paraphrased)

No, that's 3 minutes in the sunlit to fully cure the material. The UV light will set it up in 10 to 15 seconds, the dental light is around 4 seconds. I usually set the flies in the sun to fully cure the resin and make it super hard and no residue feel

jay

Jay I have been using this solarez for a few years made a post a couple a while ago but most don't take interest. I love the stuff and refuse to buy any thing else. Actually I wouldn't need to buy anything else for maybe 10 years because I have so much of it. It cures up in 15 sec to hold its form with ccg light then I set it in the sun for a few minutes and it is solid. Below is what I posted a while back.

Love surfing and when my surf board got smacked on some rocks in Santa Cruz I was looking to do some self repair. A friend told be about this company called Solarez that makes surf repair and building products. He told me to pick up Solarez Fiberfil UV-Cure polyester putty but upon looking at there web site my mind was filled with fly tying glory. www.solarez.com
    They are based in the Bay Area and I quickly had the three products that I ordered.
    The product that I found the best for fly tying applications was there Vinyl Ester Epoxy UV-cure Resin, “An extremely tough, corrosion-resistant resin with great adhesion. It is the base resin in our Solarez extreme putty. Cures by only UV-light but can be ordered to cure by MEKP catalyst too. This is a remarkably clear Vinyl Ester.” I have been using this along with CCG over the past two weeks and here is my review. Take in mind Solerez is not made with fly tying in mind.

Solarez is made to cure with sunlight company states 3-4 min but it cures with the CCG light in about 15 sec it cures to a much harder durable surface after sun exposure. What I have done is after tying the form is solid and set but when possible i but them out in the sun.

Solarez is thinner than the CCG thick so you have to be a little quicker on your toes when forming heads. Easily used as a thin or even brushable application.

Solarez after cured with sunlight is very durable but after comparing to CCG with different cutting tools I would say that CCG is more durable.

Solarez dries with a tack free clear finish, (no yellowing over time according to owner)

Ok so after reading this basically why would any one want to use solarez instead of CCG, Bug bond ect.. Well CCG is $10.50 for 10cc. Solarez is 236cc or 1/2 pint for $13.75 To get 236cc of CCG you would need around $240. Oh you could get the a full pint (472cc) for $15.95. And they have even larger options. Right now I get 10cc syringes from the ER and fill it up with Solarez then wrap electric tape to prevent UV light curing.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

here is the material that I have been using "Solarez- clear dual cure Polyester UV resin. It's described as a material for fly tying. Gary now makes it in a thick form so you have time to work and form a head, like the sea habit. He is now in the process of mix some thicker resin which will be me a lot of time to form a head without running. But there are draw backs to the thick resin....."The thin, hard-curing resin works great but it you make it thicker, it gets too brittle with lots of intenal stresses." This quote is directly from Gary, the developer of the UV resin. Also the thicker resin takes a lot longer to set up, even using a dental light.
    I've been talking with Gary almost daily and working on some flexible resin, more flexible than the one for wader repair

Great material

Jay

Very interesting Jay glad to hear that Gary is making product for the fly tyer. I would agree the dual cure is better than the vinly ester. I really do like the dual cure Polester but it is a little thin on warm days. Cold days are great. (garage fly tyer) I can still form nice heads with it you just have to be quicker spinning the rotory vise while hitting it with UV light. Very strong as well after fully curing in sun light. When i was talking to Gary awhile back he had no idea fly guys would be interested in UV expoxy, guess he does now. I am going to have check out his latest stuff now.
    Last edited by Dan Harrison; 03-23-2012 at 08:15 PM.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Have you ever tried placing the bottle in some ice water? He told me to do that with the new stuff he sent and it does slow the flow down, long enough to shape the head and hit it with the light. I'm using a nor-lander vise to rotate my flies. The real thick stuff should be in my hands in two weeks

Jay

Remembered Zen's post and glad to see they came out with something specific for fly tiers but those little .1 oz tubes are only marginally better priced than CCG. Was curious if anyone tried the Polyester Gloss Resin or the Sanding Resin and which might be best for tying? $18/quart is a bit more to my taste in terms of pricing.

Another product I've come across and haven't tested yet is Lisa Pavelka Magic Gloss. At $9/oz. on Amazon, it is expensive relative to Solarez, but at least it is not as ridiculously priced as the fly tying marketed UV acrylics.
    -JD

Isn't it funny how a product finds use in fly tying, and all of a sudden the price shoots way up?? That's why I bought into a group buying fumed silica powder (frog's fanny, shimizaki shake,etc.). I now, I know, they have to repackage it smaller! Not according to the posters on this thread.

http://www.switchfisher.com/navigati...FrogFanny.html

The trick is to find the same product, but packaged for industry.
    "Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

The price for the 1/4 pint of Solar Dual core polyester is $8.75 and that's probably a life time supply for most tyer's. I've already gone through a 1/4 pint bottle but I'm not your average tyer. I just finished up 6 dozen sea habit heads along with a number of other UV heads. I'll be trying out some other products later this week the they carry.

I'll try and make a short video using the solar dual core polyester and show how fast it sets up.

Jay