Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A/R report

Default A/R report

Fished deep and big for nada. There were a few fish working the may flies though.

We hit Sailor Bar tonight, party of 4. 3 guys nymphing and I was swinging. 2 of the nymphers hooked 2 fish, but didnít land them, and I had another tug.
    This is my 3rd Tug in the last week and I havenít hooked them. Not sure if Iím ripping it out of their mouths of what, but I canít seem to set the hook. I had much better luck last year on the Shad. I will say they have been light hits and checked the fly to see if there was moss on them, but the flies were clean. One fly took a good beating. Also 2 of the tugs were during the middle of the swing.
    Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Frank

I can only wish for a tug, tap or bump.

Last 8 outings...nada. Hoping for a good half pounder run this spring.

Glad you at least saw a few fish hooked.

EO

Frank,
    Carry a loop in your hand and let the fish take it out. They have to turn with the fly, then set low and to the bank, but nice and easy. You can also set your drag really light and skip the loop. In general, you shouldn't set the hook until that fish has committed and pulled line off your reel.
    You'll get yours. It sounds like you're getting more grabs then most. It's winter steelheading and it's never easy.
    Jimmy James

Excellent pointers Jimmy, thanks! Fritz and I will try to hit it tonight

Frank

Another idea, instead of a raised rod strike, use a strip strike. And, try tying the same size fly on one or two size larger hooks, this has worked for me in the past.

Charlie makes some great points.

If you're tying tubes and flies with stinger hooks, the Octopus bait hooks in a size 2 are excellent hookers. You could go as small as a size 4, but you don't need to. These hooks are slightly bent, so that even if you pull the fly out of the fishes mouth, it has a chance of sticking. This happens a lot if they grab it on the hangdown. Plus, the Octopus hooks are crazy sharp and you can change them out quickly if they get dulled up on a rock.
    Jimmy James

Fished with Dave and Fritz (My Son) Sunrise area tonight. I landed 2, Dave 1, and Fritz 1. Dave and I were swinging, Fritz was nymphing. Lots of fish hitting the surface after the sun went down. This is the second time I have seen the water come alive this last week after the last 15 mins till dark. Some half lbs, but mostly smaller trout. If the conditions are the same this Sunday I'm going to switch to a floating line and swing dry's. it's worth a try.

Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR2 Mar 2012.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	4229  

Sounds like a fun time. I think lots of those fish rising are the hatchery releases, DFG has been dropping off truck loads throughout the river. I bet the stripers are lovin life.

Talking A/R Report

A lot of Half Pounder's at the Lower Sunrise area. Hooked 5 day before yesterday and 2 this morning swinging a Soft Hackle. Both wild fish. Great way to start the day.
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the size of fish that I catch, the courage not to fib about it, and the wisdom to know that no one would believe me any way".