Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yuba Today (Sunday)

Default Yuba Today (Sunday)

Finally got to the river for the first time in many months. Arrived around noon in the fog and began with a nymph rig. Nothing.

Then about 1:00 the sun broke through, the skwalas woke up, flew to the surface, and the fish were on them. I managed to hook 5, landing only 3, on a big ugly rubber-leg skwala dry. All within one hour. Very nice sized fish. (I don't carry a camera, sorry.) Then about 2:00 the clouds started coming in and the action was over.

However, I did see quite a few BWOs, or were they gray drakes, after 2:00, but the fish showed no interest. I had enough excitement for one day, so I headed back to the car. I'll be back.

Cheers,
    Harlan

That's great Harlan..........I am glad you hit that exciting action. Big dries and wild Rainbows (and Steelhead too) is pretty cool.

I guess sunny afternoons now can be good on the Lower Yuba River for Skwala Stone adults.

Don't wait two weeks, go now.
    Bill Kiene

Certified FFF Casting Instructor
    Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good job Harlan.......maybe I'll see you up there someday soon!

John

John, let me know when you're going up there again.

Harlan

I gave up on the Skwala around 1 switching to BWO/PMDs. Had 30ish rises from 1 to 3, catching several (I knew to this and the strike spookes me - forget to set hook)

Quote Originally Posted by flynoob View Post
    I gave up on the Skwala around 1 switching to BWO/PMDs. Had 30ish rises from 1 to 3, catching several (I knew to this and the strike spookes me - forget to set hook)
    Wow, 30 rises in two hours! * ...I'm thinking it may be a good idea to venture out of snow country, "down the mountain" and visit the Yuba.

Frank R. Pisciotta

*to your fly?
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 02-14-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Frank,

Come on down and let's go fishing! 20th-24th works for me, let me know.

Jon.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

In fairness, the 30 rises were between two of us. But after being skunked most of the day saturday and all sunday morning, it was a huge confidence booster.

Default Such an Invite!

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    Frank,

Come on down and let's go fishing! 20th-24th works for me, let me know.

Jon.
    Jon-----You know I want to wet a line with you! We'd catch-up on life. Unfortunately the timing doesn't work-out. I'm in the process of preparing for the Pleasanton Fly Fishing Show (2/24-26).

Currently I'm tweaking my presentation for the Destination Theater; Saturday & Sunday, 11AM & 1PM, respectively. Also, slooooowly gathering all the stuff for the Truckee Guide NetWork booth (# E-9). I'll be heading down the mountain on Wednesday and will set-up the booth on Thursday. You'd think that one of these days I'd get a quick & easy, pop-up display.....

Old School Frank

Default Tuesday Results -- Steelhead?

Fished above the bridge Tuesday from about 1:00 - 5:30. Caught four 10"-14" rainbows/steelhead(?) -- 3 on a dry skwala, 1 on an orange soft hackle. The skwala window was roughly from 1:30 - 3:30, and seemed to close when the clouds started to set in. There were also a decent number of PED's (?). It was a breezy day, which made fishing a little tough. The water was slightly off color, I assume due to the recent rain.

All of the fish were silvery and the three bigger ones had some sort of parasites on the pelvic fins -- sea lice ...thus, steelhead? I don't recall seeing parasites like this on the Yube before. The parasites look like what turns up in Google Images for sea lice. Here's the picture I took (didn't realize they were parasites until after I took the photo -- thought they were fish crap). I may have chopped the little guy up a bit -- his appendages look detached in this photo. On the next fish, I looked more closely and the appendages were actually attached to the body.

The fish also seemed guant (see below), as if they were spawned out steelhead, but the colors were bright and there appeared to be sea lice on them.

Skwala photo. There were good numbers, but not as many as I recall seeing during a hatch a few years ago. But it was windy, so maybe they were just tougher to see.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 02-14-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Adding photos