Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swinging on the Lower Yuba lately?

Default Swinging on the Lower Yuba lately?

Any recent reports? I'm planning to go early next week. Flows are at 1k. Do you guys think this weekends rain will bump it up much?

Let me know if you have any other suggestions. PMs welcome.

Thanks Jason

Cool

Hubby and I were out last Sunday - and so was everyone and their grandmother!

We didn't have any luck swingin', but each managed a bite - me on a nymph (LDR) and hubby on a dry (missed) - late in the day.

You might have better luck on a weekday....

One of these days I will land a Yuba fish!
    - Robin

"Yes, size does matter..."

caught a small rainbow on a wet fly, beautiful day to have been out there .... i did not see anyone else where I was fishing; saw three people leaving as I arrived at 2 PM had a stretch all to my self not that it mattered from a fishing perspective

Thank you for the information and the PM's. I'll be sure to pass on info to you guys in the future.

SKUNKED! Next time it'll be better? Maybe???

Default Lower Yuba Day

I was on the Lower Yuba with two friends last Sunday giving a drift boat rowing lesson. We weren't fishing just rowing. The nice thing for me was getting out from behind the oars and really getting a birds eye view of the river. I'm usually too busy to pay a lot of attention.

The river was crystal clear and the salmon munbers were pretty scattered. We only saw a couple from Parks Bar and down the first few miles. We did see some nice trout. I guess they just sensed we weren't fishing. We floated real carefully and as quiet as we could in some of the deeper clearer runs and saw quite a few fish and some nice ones.

It was an overcast type of day a real BWO day but didn't see a bug. About noon it started to shower, enough that we had to put on rain gear. This was right below Hammon Grove and between Sycamore Ranch. The BWO's started coming off in pretty darn good numbers. An actual hatch. I've been on the river a lot and this was the first actual hatch I've seen in awhile. There were bugs on the water and fish up and feeding. Go figure, this is the only tine this year or for the past 10 years or more that I've been on the river without a rod strung up. We stopped dead in our tracks anchored and ate lunch and savored this moment. As we ate fish steadily rose and picked off the duns and emergers. There weren't many big heads just a lot of excited hungry fish.

The river is re-generating as it always does slow but sure. After the high waters this spring and through most of the summer it was good to see an actual hatch. Hopefully there will many more to come this winter.

Clay Hash
    www.flyfishingtraditions.com
    or
    www.flyfishingtraditions.blogspot.com

Thumbs down

Guess we should've been out LAST Sunday! Despite the fact we nearly had the river to ourselves all day, we got skunked today...

Saw some stoneflies drying themselves in the sun once the fogged burned off. We tried everything we could think of, but to no avail.

Still trying to land one on the Yuba!
    - Robin

Default stoneflies?

r u positive that they were stoneflies? The timing doesn't seem right. U never know on the Yuba?

the kid

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by thekid View Post
    r u positive that they were stoneflies? The timing doesn't seem right. U never know on the Yuba?

the kid
    Positive they were stoneflies? YES

Do I know what species? NO - definitely not golden stones or yellow sallies. Maybe a REALLY early skwalla? They were med to large, darker nymphs drying themselves on the rocks in the warm afternoon sun. Several shucks from the day before's hatch too. The weather was right for it, even if it isn't Jan/Feb yet. Cold, foggy morning, followed by the warmer afternoon after the fog burned off.

The timing definitely seems off, and hubby and I were surprised to see them. But, just two weeks ago we saw grasshoppers and little frogs too, in NOVEMBER???? .
    - Robin

What you are seeing may be Slate Drakes,“Isonychia" Nymphs. A large mayfly that hatches into October. With the way this season has gone who knows how the bugs schedules have been scrambled. This is a guess as I've been drifting the river in my drift boat and not crawling around on the rocks along the shoreline. The Isonychia nymphs migrate to the rocks below riffles and crawl out just like stoneflies. They are as big as some stoneflies. When they do you will see cases on the rocks near the shoreline. We have been getting fish on hares ears. Any coincidence? With the warmer weather they may still be some around. You can read an article and view a hatch chart for the Lower Yuba River at;

http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com/patterns/gray-or-slate-drake-mayflies

Clay Hash
    www.flyfishingtraditions.com
    or
    www.flyfishingtraditions.blogspot.com